Bayou Cane Veterinary Hospital offers Laser Therapy, which is one of the fastest growing services within veterinary medicine. Laser therapy uses light to accelerate the body’s natural healing processes. The laser beam is moved over the skin so that the light energy (photons) penetrates the tissue where it interacts with various molecules (chromophores) that cause different biological effects. It produces a photochemical, photothermal and photomechanical effect.
- Laser Therapy has an anti-edema or anti-inflammatory effect as it causes vasodilation, but also because it activates the lymphatic drainage system which drains swollen areas. As a result, there is a reduction in swelling caused by bruising or inflammation.
- Laser Therapy also has a beneficial effect on nerve cells. It blocks pain transmitted by these cells to the brain.
- The laser light also increases the energy available to cells so that a cell can take on nutrients faster and get rid of waste products. As a result of exposure to laser light, damaged cells are repaired faster.
- Laser therapy will significantly increase the formation of new capillaries in damaged tissue which speeds up the healing process.
- Laser Therapy reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns or surgery.
Call us today at (985) 872-9400 to learn more about our laser therapy. We would be happy to answer and and all of your questions!